Image via Wikipedia
One of the best MMORPGs on the market right now, in my opinion is Cryptic’s “Star Trek Online“. Not because of the IP, but because it’s a really well-developed game! Sure, the name “Star Trek” is what first attracted me, but it’s the game play that has kept me subscribed for the last year.
After all, a good IP does not guarantee a good game. Take Star Wars Galaxies for instance, or Star Trek Armada. Both had great IP’s and majorly suckage games.
So, what makes STO stand out from the rest? Well, to begin with the game is always improving. The developers care enough about this title, to go to great lengths to keep it from getting stale. Things are always being added, or improved. In fact, STO has only been out slightly over a year, and already the game has seen more advancement and improvements than any other MMORPG I have played. They have remastered older episodes to add cut-scenes and voice overs, and to make the missions more involving and epic.
Not to mention the foundry which allows you to create and share your own star trek missions with the game community. This means there is a constant stream of new content being added daily, from some very creative minds.
Is the game perfect? No, of course not, but it’s well on its way to getting there! Here are a few things that could be added that would increase my enjoyment of the game.
1) More factions: Currently you can play Federation and Klingon, but I would love to see some other playable factions. The Romulans, Cardassians or even the borg.
2) More visitable iconic planets: Currently you can beam down to a handful of iconic star trek planets. Like Andoria, Vulcan and Risa just to name a few, but I would love more! Ferenginar or Earth for starters! Sorry, I don’t count Earth Space Dock as earth.
3) UGC Slots: Some more slots for making UGC in the game would be nice. It would be a shame if people started deleting some of the great missions available, so they can make new ones.
4) Non-STF mission versions: This probably seems really stupid to people, but one thing I would like to see is versions of the end game missions that don’t require STF. Maybe have the Non-STF versions not give rewards or drops, but there just for the story. Fact of the matter is, I play games for the stories and in an STF(Raid) people tend to rush, which means others who might not have experienced it, miss out on some kick ass storylines. If they had a non-STF version with no rewards, people could play through it for the story, and then play the STF version for the epic lewtz while everyone is rushing around like mad-men.
5) More Q!: Come on, who doesn’t love Q? How about some Q love?? Give us some Q missions, or a Feature Episode series starring Q.
6) Favorite Authors: Since the arrival of the Foundry, the STO community has been blessed with some great missions and authors. Some authors create incredible Feature Episode style missions as well. So, it would be nice if there was a way to tag an author as a favorite, so that you can be notified when your favorite content creators publish a new story for your gaming enjoyment.
Anyway, those are just a few of what I would like to see.